Hello, 4th and 5th-grade parents!
This is a fun program that strengthens our 5th grader’s skills in leadership and public speaking. The program is voluntary, and the students get extra credit for participation. This program has always been very popular at MATES – both for the 5th graders who perform as well as the lower grade classes that watch the performances.
4th and 5th grade parents are encouraged to participate as it is wonderful to watch our 5th graders take on this fun project. For 4th grade parents, it is exciting to see what our future 5th graders have to look forward to next year.
The 5th graders will be working in groups to learn about a significant woman in history, create a photo montage on a Piktochart, and participate in research and a filmed presentation. The presentation the students prepare portrays a significant time or event in history pertaining to their particular woman (yes, plenty of roles for boys as well!).
All preparatory activities will take place during lunch on Wednesdays and Fridays where the students will be collecting photos, doing research, putting together their Piktocharts, and learning the lines for their skits. There is no out-of-school commitment other than reading through and studying their lines.
In order to pull this off, we will need A LOT of parent volunteers. The list of volunteer opportunities is below. Also, please take a look at a previous year’s presentation:
This is a parent-run program that can only happen with volunteers. Below is a list of roles needed. Please contact Lisa Hillman | Email if interested or if you have any questions. Thank you!
- Parent Volunteers: 10 – 15 parents to come to campus during lunch Wednesdays and Fridays from Wednesday, March 10th to Wednesday, March 30th; 30-40 mins of student supervision
- Volunteer Coordinator: responsible for the SignUp Genius and making sure that all slots are filled
- Costume Organizer: props organizer (most of the items are already at school and just need to be organized, assigned, and fitted to the participating students)
- Video editor: someone to put the film together and incorporate in the researched Picktocharts; Feel free to make it your own!
- Videographer: someone to film the kid’s presentations; Filming date TBD
- Lunchtime volunteers: 30-40 min of lunchtime project supervision; We need more help! Please sign up if you are able to!